BRC ultramarathon medals!
after having an intensely busy summer full of work and obligations, it all culminated in our return to black rock city. this was only our second year at burning man, but as always the desert was wild and beautiful, and it was a wonderful cathartic release from the doldrums of everyday life.
before we made the trek out into the dust, stephen and i had the pleasure to make the finishers’ medals for the BRC 50k ultramarathon, hosted by our awesome camp, pink lightning. here are some (poorly documented) in-progress pics.
cheap fence slats were cut into 3x3 in squares
built this jig to drill holes for the string
drilling square after square after square
carved out a stamp for the race logo
painting and stamping and spraying—gold and pink seemed most appropriate
the finished product!
all in all, we managed to churn out about 230. the race had over 200 participants, an incredible turnout. who knew there were so many people who wanted to run over 30 miles in the middle of the desert??
wooden knuckles and rings!
i had this project on the back burner for several months. they were a pain in the ASS to sand down, and i just didn’t have the patience. finally finished them this month.
another “people from real life” sketch. saw this funny little kid at griffith park.
he was a real serious guy.
making a bed: part 2
here we go! part 2! pictures of the final stretch.
here’s the bed with the skirt screwed onto the cantilevers.
putting in t-nuts into the ends of the cantilevers. screws go through the brackets on the inside of the skirt and into these t-nuts.
cutting out plywood pieces and drilling holes for where the bolt heads on the cantilevers can come through.
decided on 4 pieces of plywood for easier moving. look, it’s floating!
a blurry picture of the underside. the illusion is broken!
making the headboard supports. we had a slight problem where the thread insert i was screwing in tore open and i couldn’t screw it in more nor take it out. so i had to epoxy a spare bolt into it and yank it out after it dried.
putting in a new insert. this time i was careful and took my time putting it in. threaded inserts were also used to attach the cantilevers into the base and to connect the skirt together at the corners.
headboard complete! yes, this was a 3 drill project.
so after putting the skirt together, there was a problem with the corners not being flush. now how to fix this? maybe take it apart and trim it? but what if it was inaccurate? all that work for nothing. my buddy suggested belt sanding the ends down. it worked for some of the slightly off sections (no more than 2-3 millimeters), but completely brutal for the corners where it was off by more than half a centimeter. plus the sander would scratch up the grain of the adjoining planks, which would be a pain in the ass to fix. sometimes power tools can’t solve everything, so you go back to good ol fashioned hand tools. i used a japanese saw, and it turned out so beautifully, i almost cried. you can see in the first pic how flush the saw can make the cut.
this is how the bed stands when i’m not at the shop working on it.
disassembled and ready to take home!
can’t believe it all fit in the car. i did this when LA got hit with one of the shittest rainstorms i’ve ever seen, on either coast. of all the days…
and finished! after an additional two weeks of sanding and oiling… sometimes you think you’ll never be done! so ends this adventure in making my first serious piece of furniture. maybe i’ll get some of those fancy 1000-thread count sheets to celebrate.
making a bed: part 1
since moving to LA, stephen and i have been sleeping on a mattress on the floor. i thought about getting a bed frame, but then decided why not make one instead? finally got around to it…six months later.
my woodshop buddy came up with a cool design and was kind enough to embark on the project with me, as i needed guidance and someone to help me lift all the heavy stuff! it is not done yet, but with a part 1 there inevitably will come a part 2, which will motivate me to finish all the sooner!
straight from the lumberyard! african mahogany and one piece of poplar
2x6 boards for the cantilevers
gluing down supports for platform
platform pieces oiled up and drying in my laundry room
putting in the hardware for the platform—this bed can be taken apart for easy moving
the platform all put together
the cantilevers all in place.
so ends part 1! the skirt—which rests on top of the cantilevers and what the mattress will fit into—has been finished already (pics to be seen in part 2). all that is left is the headboard and a few odds and ends. so close!
hiking in topanga canyon
attempting different approaches to watercolor landscapes